Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Taking on Fluid

I have spoken with a few other patients with pulmonary hypertension. None of them seem to be as vulnerable to the salt/fluid issue that is a daily struggle for me. I have to count sodium on everything I eat even if only an estimate. Eating out has become so very tricky, particularly at places like the Olive Garden. Used to love it but now don't even attempt to find anything there I can eat. I do better at a diner where they will grill a piece of chicken, I can get a plain baked potato and a salad with dressing on the side. Salad dressings hide so much sodium it is mind boggling! I have begun only eating at places which publish the nutritional information online and I can preplan the sodium.
I am doing better on the Adcirca although it does have side effects and my stomach has been a mess. I am taking Prilocec daily again. There are many drugs that I cannot take with it and I have to call a doctor or pharmacist before taking anything. The drug companies for these type drugs have a nurse on call 24/7 and I had to call one night at 2 a.m.! All for permission to take Tums.
It is bitter cold outside today, 30 degrees and it's hard for me to breathe if I go out. I have a few pounds of fluid on me and I am getting out of breath easily. I know that this will wax and wane depending on fluid and other factors.
I am getting more comfortable by chatting with other patients online. There is a great website for people who have pulmonary hypertension. If you have it or want to learn more about it visit http://www.phassociation.org/. I have pulmonary arterial hypertension technically which means I have PH but am also in right heart failure. Hopefully if the meds lower the pressure, that will change. Life goes on. People live with this disease and continue to fight for each day. I talk to people who have lived six years and one woman who has battled this for twenty years. If you are diagnosed with this disease to the degree I have it you cannot have children. Well, going to go check out the chat today and see who's there. Some of the patients are so knowledgeable and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment