Saturday, April 28, 2012

I am doing much better after getting the ten pounds of fluid off. I also ordered and received a pulse oximeter. I got a good one and it works well. This will let me know exactly what my oxygen is rather than guessing. My doctor told me last week that you really cannot judge your oxygen level by how you feel. At times I might feel well when it's low, or feel sickly when it's fine. This way I can better keep tabs on when I absolutely have to be on the oxygen.

This week I had something going on nearly everyday. Next week will be the same. I am getting caught up on doctors appointments, dentist visits etc. I haven't seen my eye doctor, gynecologist etc. in over a year. I finally got caught up with the dentist and am getting my teeth cleaned Monday. That will be done. With me not working you would think I would have a lot more time to do these things. I have been dealing all week with insurance issues. I am very unhappy with United HealthCare. This was the insurance I had through my employer. They paid for some of the visits for my pulmonary rehab and yet denied about six others. The provider has called me nonstop about this. I have called and spent hours upon hours with United HC. I am now dealing with their "Rapid Resolutions" Dept. and I certainly hope to get this resolved. The provider is threatening to turn me over to collections, claiming they told her I am responsible. Since this was a covered benefit and I called to make sure that I needed no special authorization I fail to see what the hold up is. I now have Blue Cross and I can tell you that while it's harder to get authorizations for CT scans and such the bill paying goes much smoother. I pay 20% with Blue Cross but it's worth it. I can see any doctors I want, without referrals. Unfortunately, the DME (durable medical equipment) which I need such as oxygen costs me that percentage as well. With my other policy I paid nothing. This means having a large oxygen bill should I choose to travel OR trying to travel without it. I cannot fly without it. I use it to sleep overnight. I am sure if I went overnight one night I might be okay but I couldn't function long without it at all. When you have an ongoing illness, you need to understand your insurance coverage well. Often doctors prescribe things that might not be covered and if you don't make sure that you have that coverage you can end up having to pay for them. I learned this the hard way.

1 comment:

  1. That pulse oximeter sounds like a FANTASTIC idea to let you know exactly what your oxygen is. No MORE guessing. This is progress. Insurance companies are just IMPOSSIBLE to work with at times. The hospital submitted paperwork for me with the wrong codes. Insurance would NOT pay. We spent over a year trying to get the hospital and insurance to get this straightened out. Account ended up in collections. We refuse to pay BECAUSE the HOSPITAL billed it wrong. but we're MAD at insurance because it was COVERED under our policy. I pray you get everything resolved soon. Glad you switched companies. take care.

    ReplyDelete