Thursday, September 27, 2012

Insomnia

Is insomnia part of PH? Is it caused by PH meds? Since I have been on two and had trouble since I went on either one it seems a strange coincidence. What is really odd is that I may sleep well for two nights and then on the third it hits me like a Mack truck.

Last night:
Knowing husband has to wake up at 5:30 I agree to try to go to bed at 10 p.m. This should not be a problem as I have been awake since 7 a.m. I get in bed. Feel less sleepy than I did about an hour ago watching t.v.  I put on my Ipod and listen to music (resisting the urge to sing along as I know this will really annoy husband who I can see is already not liking me moving about.) An hour later I am now more awake than I was just an hour ago but still try to force myself to sleep. Take off the Ipod and put on the cpap mask. Usually the oxygen makes my heart relax and actually feels cool as I breathe it in. The air feels warm and I don't feel the usual oxygen relief. I lay there for over an hour trying to fall asleep. Try arranging pillows differently, focus on crickets chirping and bore myself to sleep. When this fails to work I am getting aggravated. I get up and go into the guest room and boot up the husband's laptop. No responses to messages sent on Ancestry.com and nothing good on Facebook either. I do a little ancestry research and feel really tired. By the time I shut the pc down I am all geared up again and decide to go downstairs and read. Two hours later it's nearly 4 a.m. and I think I can sleep. Now I have to get back into the bedroom with the skill of a Ninja, get the mask back on, turn on the cpap and crawl back in bed. If I wake him up again he will be like a rabid racoon come 5:30 a.m. I get into bed ever so quietly and boom I am finally asleep. At 7 a.m. (after 3 hours sleep) I am awake again. I take a pill and go back to sleep hoping to wake at 8 for my next pill. I do and then I just get up and head downstairs and do a meet and greet with the furboys. They are napping which they do anytime they want to. I am so jealous. I have so many items on my grocery list that I know I must go to the store. I know it will be torture. I make it getting only the few items I need. I am home, have lunch and am back online. It's nearly 3 and I am so exhausted. I am going to take a nap and pray that I can sleep again tonight.

Everyone now and then I actually wonder if I am part of a sleep deprivation experiment. My follow up thought is always that the previous thought is part of a sleep deprived hallucination.

3 comments:

  1. I have Crazy insomnia episodes. I can lay awake up from 1am to 7am sometimes with my bi-pap on for hours and still can not fall asleep. I used to fall asleep right after I put on bipap but something has changed. I think it is the 2 coughing blood episodes I had in the past 2 years has done vv something weird to me.

    I'm also taking 7.5mg Zopiclone - it doesn't knock me out though but I'm sleeping slightly better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't deal with insomnia too much. I'm a night owl, but I've been like that since college, and I have found out it runs in my family on my mom's side! I don't really go to bed at 1am like I used to, only once in a blue moon. So I'm not really sure if insomnia is PH-related or not, but I know that you are not alone. I read stories about many PHers who can't sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be bothered by not being able to fall asleep when my kids were young and needed me. But now, if I fall asleep fine, if not, well, that's fine too. I can rest during the day if I need to because I'm not "needed" anymore. Haha...sometimes that's a freeing thing, sometimes it's depressing. Either way I guess I'm glad because I can't do half of what I used to be able to do anyway. Hope you get some restful sleep and find energy for the daily tasks. (Thanks also for your comments)

    ReplyDelete